Queens Broken Bones Injury Lawyer
Many car accidents simply leave the victims a bit shaken but overall none the worse for wear. Unfortunately, there are situations where an accident does lead to serious injuries that require extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation. Some of the more common injuries arising from such accidents are broken bones and fractures.
If you have suffered such an injury, the Queens car accident injury lawyers at Sullivan & Galleshaw can help. We represent clients who have sustained broken bones and fractures in accidents caused by another driver’s negligence. Under New York law, such injuries may be considered serious enough to justify a personal injury lawsuit. This means you may be entitled to monetary compensation above and beyond what your own auto insurance provides.
Broken Bones Require Immediate Medical Attention
Broken bones are serious injuries. All suspected (or confirmed) fractures require immediate emergency medical attention. While some fractures can be relatively modest and heal with significant medical intervention, it is not possible to know the full extent of your injuries at the scene of an accident—especially after a car crash where things can get hectic and chaotic. Here are four steps to take if you believe or know that you sustained a broken or fractured bone in a crash:
- Call law enforcement to report the motor vehicle collision;
- Accept an ambulance ride to the nearest medical center;
- Try to document the collision to the best of your ability; and
- Consult with a Queens personal injury lawyer before you speak to an insurance adjuster.
How Car Accidents Lead to Broken Bones
Even a simple “fender bender” car accident can lead to a broken bone. Any accident represents a sudden, unexpected collision between moving vehicles–or a moving vehicle and a pedestrian–and the sudden shift in forces can easily lead to a fracture. Here are just a few of the more common scenarios we come across representing accident victims:
- A car hits a motorcycle, ejecting the motorcyclist from their bicycle and causing them to smack into the pavement.
- A passenger is ejected from their seat during a vehicle collision.
- A vehicle, such as a motorcycle or a tractor-trailer, lands on top of a person, crushing their bones.
- A passenger’s head and neck slam into the console during a collision.
In short, any sudden motion that causes an impact to a part of the body can result in a broken bone. The victim may not even realize something is broken right away, depending on the nature of the injury. This is why it is always important to seek emergency medical attention following an accident even if you “feel fine” and can walk away from the scene under your own power.
What Are the Most Common Accident-Related Bone Fractures?
From a medical standpoint, there is no difference between a broken bone and a fracture. Indeed, a “fracture” is merely a term used to describe any break in the structure of a bone. And while it is possible to suffer a fracture in any bone due to an accident, here are some of the more commonly observed injuries:
- Back and Neck – In a rear-end or head-on auto accident, the whiplash may cause a break in some of the bones comprising the back or neck, i.e., the spinal vertebrae. Such injuries may occur even if the victim was wearing a seatbelt and the airbags deployed. And if left untreated, spinal vertebrae can be lethal.
- Skull – Cranial fractures are injuries to the bones that make up your skull. As with spinal vertebrae fractures, cranial injuries can be fatal if not promptly treated, as they may be a symptom of possible brain damage. Unlike other common bone fractures, cranial injuries are often harder to detect right away as there is often no visible damage.
- Facial Bones – When your head hits the dashboard, steering wheel, or even an airbag, it can lead to a broken nose, jaw, or cheekbone. Facial bone injuries require immediate attention so that the victim is in the best position to make a complete recovery.
- Collarbone – The clavicle–i.e., the collarbone–is a long horizontal bone running along your shoulder blade and sternum. It is also among the most commonly fractured bones in auto collisions.
- Pelvic Bone – Breaks in the pelvic bone or hip joints are common in motorcycle accidents. But they can occur in any serious car accident as well. Such fractures can leave victims unable to walk for some time and often require surgery to repair the damage.
- Fibula – The fibula, or leg bones, are often fractured in car accidents, particularly when the weight of the vehicle crushes the victim’s legs. Other types of broken leg injuries, including a broken femur, can occur in a car accident as well.
- Arms: Unfortunately, broken arms are relatively common in motor vehicle collisions. A driver or passenger may try to use their arms to brace themselves during the crash. As car accidents can carry incredible amounts of force, the human arm may not be able to withstand the impact.
Three Categories of Broken Bones Injuries
Not all broken bone injuries are the same. The severity of the injury will depend on many different factors, including the force of the impact and the type of fracture that occurred. Broadly speaking, broken/fractured bone injuries can be divided into the following three categories.
- Open Fracture: An open fracture occurs when the bone breaks through the skin. These are very serious injuries that require immediate emergency medical attention. There is an alarmingly high risk of injection with open fracture injuries.
- Closed Fracture: Closed fracture injuries occur when a break/fracture does not penetrate the skin. While the risk of infection is certainly lower with a closed fracture injury, these injuries can still be incredibly painful and may have severe long-term consequences.
- Displaced Fracture: A displaced fracture occurs when the extent of the broken bone injury causes a fundamental misalignment between the two sections of the bone. A displaced fracture may require surgery.
How Can I Seek Compensation for a Bone Fracture?
New York State follows a “no-fault” rule when it comes to auto accidents. This means under normal circumstances, your own auto insurance carrier is expected to pay for any damages you sustain in an accident. However, if you sustained a “serious injury” such as a bone fracture, you can step outside the no-fault system and file a personal injury lawsuit against a negligent driver. In other words, when you suffered a broken or fractured bone in a motor vehicle collision, you are no longer restricted to a no-fault claim through your own Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. You can file a fault-based personal injury lawsuit directly against any defendant—other driver, trucking company, automaker, etc—that was responsible for your crash.
We Can Help You Maximize Your Financial Compensation for a Broken Bone
Following a serious injury, you need monetary support to pay your bills. A broken bone can cause serious disruption to your life—especially if you are dealing with a serious fracture, such as a broken leg or a hip displacement. In New York, you have the right to seek full and fair financial compensation for your damages after sustaining a broken bone injury. Sadly, insurers do not make the claims process smooth for people. At Sullivan and Galleshaw, LLP, we know how to hold them accountable so that you can maximize your settlement or verdict. Along with other damages, our Queens broken bone injury lawyers can help you seek financial compensation for:
- Property damage (vehicle repairs);
- Ambulance fees & emergency room care;
- Hospital bills and other medical expenses;
- Rehabilitative care for a bone fracture;
- Loss of current and future earnings;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental distress; and
- Permanent physical impairment.
How Our Queens, NY Broken Bone Lawyers Can Help You Get Justice
The personal injury claims process is complicated—especially if you suffered a serious injury such as a broken bone. At Sullivan and Galleshaw, LLP, we provide personalized, justice-driven legal representation. We are ready to get started on your case right away. Among other things, our Queens broken & fractured bone attorneys are prepared to:
- Conduct a free, comprehensive review of your broken bone claim;
- Investigate your accident—securing the evidence needed to prove liability;
- Gather and organize your medical records;
- Represent you in personal injury settlement negotiations; and
- Take your broken bone claim as far as needed to maximize your compensation.
Call Our Queens, NY Personal Injury Attorneys Today
At Sullivan and Galleshaw, LLP, our New York personal injury lawyers have a history of success across a wide range of legal claims. If you or your loved one suffered a broken or fractured bone in an accident, we are here to help. So if you have suffered a serious injury in a car accident and need legal advice on what steps to take, contact the Queens broken bones and fracture lawyers at Sullivan & Galleshaw today at (718) 215-9574 to schedule an initial consultation. We represent injured victims in Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and throughout New York City.
What Our Clients Say
James is the best lawyer I have ever had. I would strongly recommend him. I would even go as far as to say you would have to be crazy to use anyone else. He is extremely knowledgeable, quick thinker and always available to answer your questions. He is motivated, energetic and will do whatever it takes to win. The best quality James has and one that you will not find in other lawyers is that HE CARES!!!.
Work Injury Settlement
The client, a sanitation worker, fell over a pothole inside the depot yard; They required knee, wrist and elbow surgery. They were approved for ¾ pay and Social Security Disability Insurance.View more results
ABOUT SULLIVAN & GALLESHAW
Over our many years practicing personal injury law, our highly experienced legal team has earned a reputation for excellence. Our attorneys have appeared on major media outlets such as Fox News and MSNBC . Our firm’s legal accomplishments have been profiled by the New York Law Journal, the Los Angeles Times, ESPN, and the Associated Press. We have won multiple verdicts in excess of $1 million, making us proud members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, a prestigious organization which admits fewer than 1% of all attorneys in the United States. We were named Super Lawyers in 2011, and enjoy a perfect 10/10 Superb rating on national attorney database Avvo.
Speak to one of our attorneys about your case for free.
Call (877) 311-4878 now to schedule a free consultation. If you feel more comfortable contacting us via email please complete this form and we’ll get back to you shortly.