Queens Brain Injury Lawyers
At Sullivan & Galleshaw, LLP, our dedicated and strategic attorneys consider your needs and goals before deciding on a legal strategy. When you work with with us you can expect a responsive and accessible attorney who will fight to hold the party responsible for your TBI financially accountable.
What Types of Brain Injuries Are There?
While the severity of brain injuries is determined along a continuum, there are two main classes of brain injuries: those caused by a trauma (TBI) and those that develop or are acquired due to a bodily condition or medical event (ABI).
Traumatic brain injuries themselves can be segmented into two main categories: closed-head injuries and penetrating injuries. A closed-head injury typically occurs due to a blunt-force trauma to the head, neck or skull. An elbow to the head during a basketball game or striking one’s head on the steering wheel during a car accident are two fairly typical examples of a closed-head TBI. A penetrating brain injury occurs when a foreign object penetrates the skull and enters into the intra-cranial space. Damage from this type of brain injury is often in a straight line that follows the path the object took through the brain. A gunshot wound to the head where the bullet passes through the skull is an example of a penetrating brain injury.
In contrast, ABIs can occur or develop after a medical event like a stroke, tumor, hypoxia, apoxia, and other conditions. In short, medical events that deprive the brain of oxygen or blood can result in serious, permanent injuries and impairments.
How Do Brain Injuries Occur?
Brain injuries can occur in a broad array of situations and contexts. Unfortunately, the potential scenarios for a brain injury are limited only by the locations and activities that people, respectively, frequent or participate in. Let’s consider a few of the scenarios where a traumatic brain injury can occur. These scenario include:
- Car, truck or SUV accident – A vehicular accident is a fairly common situation from which a brain injury can arise. Whether your accident involved a fellow commuter, a commercial truck, or roadway debris, it almost undoubtedly involved high speeds and violent forces that can jostle and shake the brain. Vehicle accidents can often produce moderate to severe brain injuries.
- Slip and fall – Even the relatively simple slip and fall can produce brain injuries. In fact according to statistics compiled by the CDC, 78% of all deaths due to falls are because of a TBI and lower extremity injuries.
- Recreational and school sports – Whether you or your child plays or participates in football, soccer, baseball, cheer-leading, or basketball there is a risk of brain injury.
- While shopping in a retail store or walking down a street – Believe it or not, injuries can occur in a retail location like a big box store or a small shop. If shelves are improperly stocked or if signs are improperly secured falling items can strike a shopper and cause serious injury. A similar injury can occur while walking down the street if a careless individual drops an item out of their window.
- Following a medical event – After a stroke or heart attack changes to the brain can occur. These changes can cause damage to the brain or make it more likely that a traumatic medical event will follow.
The foregoing are only a brief synopsis of the potential scenarios and locations that a brain injury can occur. While you can certainly exercise reasonable caution, no actions can fully eliminate the risk of injury. However, if another person’s negligent, reckless or wanton behavior has caused a severe injury, you should speak with an experienced personal injury attorney, like the lawyers of Sullivan & Galleshaw, to hold the responsible party financially accountable.
Put Our Personal Injury Experience to Work for You
At Sullivan & Galleshaw our clients trust us to provide dedicated and strategic representation following a serious accident or other personal injury. To schedule your free and confidential brain injury legal consolation, call 877-311-4878 or contact us online.
What Our Clients Say
James is the best lawyer I have ever had. I would strongly recommend him. I would even go as far as to say you would have to be crazy to use anyone else. He is extremely knowledgeable, quick thinker and always available to answer your questions. He is motivated, energetic and will do whatever it takes to win. The best quality James has and one that you will not find in other lawyers is that HE CARES!!!.
Work Injury Settlement
The client, a sanitation worker, fell over a pothole inside the depot yard; They required knee, wrist and elbow surgery. They were approved for ¾ pay and Social Security Disability Insurance.View more results