Queens Burns Injury Lawyer
Causes of Burn injuries
A burn injury can be caused as a result of heat and exposure to fire (thermal burn), electricity or electrocution (electrical burn), the skin making contact with the ground, at speed, for a period of time (friction burn), and also from exposure to certain chemicals (chemical burn). These types of burn injuries maybe the result of:
- Home or building fires;
- Car accidents;
- Motorcycle accidents;
- Workplace accidents;
- Dangerous and defective products; and
If you have suffered a burn injury and you are now facing serious medical bills and other economic and noneconomic harm, schedule a consultation with our lawyers to discuss your options.
Degrees of Burn
Not only can burns be thermal, electrical, or chemical, but they also happen at different levels of severity, known as degrees. The more severe the burn injury, the more consequential the long-term effects.
- First-degree burns. First-degree burns are the least severe type of burn injury. These types of burns only affect the outermost layer of the skin and, while painful, typically can be treated at home and will heal fully with time.
- Second-degree burns. Second-degree burns, on the other hand, are more serious. A second-degree burn injury affects two layers of skin – the outermost layer, called the epidermis, and the second layer of skin, called the dermis. These types of burns can result in blisters, a high degree of pain, and permanent scarring. A second-degree burn should be treated by a medical professional.
- Third-degree burns. Third-degree burns are extremely serious, and can even be fatal in some cases. Third-degree burns impact all layers of the skin and also reach to the layer of fat throughout the skin. While these burns are more significant and serious, they may initially hurt less because the nerve endings are burned off. Third-degree burn injuries can lead to various complications, including a lack of sensation and mobility, the risk of infection, and permanent scarring.
Some medical professionals also recognize fourth-degree burns, in which the burn injury extends past the fat into other tissues, muscles, and even the bone.
Liability for a Burn Injury
Sometimes, accidents happen for which no one is responsible; in other cases, though, there is someone to blame for a burn injury and the losses suffered by the victim. For example, if your burn injury was the result of a defective product, then the manufacturer or distributor of that product could be held liable for your damages. Or, if your burn injury happened at work due as a result of an electrocution injury or a chemical spill, an attorney can investigate to determine whether or not you may have a third-party liability claim.
When the negligence, recklessness, or lawlessness of another party leads to a burn injury, you can hold that party liable for your damages. Types of damages recoverable in a burn injury claim include compensation for your:
- Medical expenses;
- Lost wages;
- Pain and suffering; and
- Any other economic or noneconomic losses you’ve suffered.
How Our Queens Burn Injury Attorneys Can Help
When you work with the Queens burn injury attorneys at the law office of Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP, we’ll help you by:
- Opening an investigation into your case in order to determine what led to circumstances that caused your burn injury, such as what caused a house fire, or why a chemical spill occurred at work;
- Hiring experts, including accident reconstructionists and other investigative professionals, who can help us to build your case and make a determination about fault;
- Determining liability and organize evidence in a way to prove it;
- Determining the value of your claim and issuing a demand letter to the insurance company;
- Negotiating a settlement offer; and
- Filing your case in court and litigating it if necessary.
Call Our Queens Burn Injury Lawyers Today
Suffering a burn injury is incredibly serious, and maybe something that permanently changes your life. At the law office of Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP, we understand the pain–both physical and emotional–that you’re going through and we want to help. For your free consultation with our Queens burn injury lawyers, please call us directly today at 718-843-0300 or send us a message online at your convenience.
What Our Clients Say
James is the best lawyer I have ever had. I would strongly recommend him. I would even go as far as to say you would have to be crazy to use anyone else. He is extremely knowledgeable, quick thinker and always available to answer your questions. He is motivated, energetic and will do whatever it takes to win. The best quality James has and one that you will not find in other lawyers is that HE CARES!!!.
Work Injury Settlement
The client, a sanitation worker, fell over a pothole inside the depot yard; They required knee, wrist and elbow surgery. They were approved for ¾ pay and Social Security Disability Insurance.View more results