Queens Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer
We Represent Hit-and-Run Accident Victims in Queens and Throughout New York City
Being involved in a crash that’s caused by the negligence of another driver can be traumatic and frustrating, especially when injuries are serious. Even more maddening than the crash itself, though, is being hit by a driver who flees the scene. If you’ve been involved in a hit-and-run accident in Queens, you need an aggressive attorney on your side who can help you to understand your options and who will advocate for your rights.
At the law office of Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP, our Queens hit-and-run accident lawyers can advocate for you. We are committed to helping injured victims secure the full and fair financial compensation that they need to pay their bills and support their families. If you were injured in a hit-and-run crash in New York City, we are more than ready to help. Call us today to learn more about your rights after a hit-and-run crash in Queens. Initial consultations are free and strictly confidential.
New York Law: Drivers Must Stop at the Scene of an Accident
In New York State, all motorists are required to stop and remain at the scene of an accident. Unless there is a medical emergency, drivers should not leave the scene of a collision until they exchange information with other parties and/or a law enforcement officer arrives. Unfortunately, too many motorists fail to follow the rules. Hit-and-run accidents remain a serious problem. According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, there are approximately 750,000 hit-and-run accidents reported in the United States each year.
What to Do After a Hit-and-Run in New York
When a car accident occurs in Queens, both drivers involved in the crash are required under law to stop their vehicles and exchange information. But if you’re the only driver who stops, what are your options and what should you do? If you are involved in a crash with a hit-and-run driver, it is imperative that you know what to do to protect your health, safety, rights, and interests. Here are five steps to take after a hit-and-run accident in Queens:
- Stop Your Vehicle and Get Yourself to Safety: First, it’s important that you move your vehicle to a safe location so that it’s not at risk of being hit again. You should also immediately check for injuries to yourself or any of your passengers; if anyone has been injured, do not hesitate to call 911 and request an ambulance.
- Write Down as Much as Possible About the Crash: While you may be seething with rage at the fact that the other driver has fled the scene, do not attempt to follow them or chase after them–doing so could be dangerous. Instead, immediately write down as much as you can remember about the other vehicle and its driver, including vehicle make and model, color, license plate number, and any distinguishing features, such as damage to the back-right tail light.
- Report the Hit-and-Run to Law Enforcement:Call the police to report the accident and wait for an officer to arrive on the scene. As you wait, take as many photos of the accident scene as you can, including damage to the exterior and interior of your vehicle. If there are any witnesses to the accident, ask for their names, contact information, and a brief statement of what they saw. Ask them to wait for the police to arrive so that they can give a statement.
- Seek Medical Attention for Any Injuries: Next, be sure to get medical care. You should go directly from the accident scene to the hospital if you sustained a serious injury in the hit-and-run accident. Remember, nothing should come before your health and well-being. Take care of emergency medical needs first. It is also important to keep in mind that you must see a doctor be eligible to file a car accident injury claim in New York.
- Notify Your Insurer (and Consult With a Lawyer): Finally, you need to call your insurance company to report the accident. You should also seriously consider calling a hit-and-run accident lawyer in Queens who can guide you through the next steps. Unfortunately, insurance companies—even your own insurer—are not on your side. An experienced Queens hit-and-run accident lawyer will make sure that your rights and interests are protected after a major collision.
Who’s Liable for a Hit-and-Run Accident in Queens?
While being involved in a hit-and-run accident in Queens can be incredibly maddening, one thing to consider is that you can still recover some compensation for the crash through your own insurance policy. This is because New York is a no-fault car insurance state that requires all drivers to carry personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. PIP is designed to pay for the policyholder’s economic losses regardless of who was at fault for the accident. In other words, your initial damages will still be covered under your PIP policy even if the other driver fled the scene of the crash.
In addition to PIP coverage, New York also requires its motorists to carry uninsured motorist coverage, which applies in the event that you are involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have insurance or a hit-and-run driver. If you are involved in a serious hit-and-run accident and your damages exceed your PIP coverage, you may still be fully covered by your own insurance through an uninsured/underinsured motorist claim. To learn more, call our Queens hit-and-run lawyer for help.
In some cases, the hit-and-run driver may be located and identified. If they do have insurance and your injuries exceed New York’s serious injury threshold, then you can file a claim for damages against the at-fault driver for damages. In many cases, unfortunately, even if the driver is identified, they do not have insurance or do not have enough insurance to pay for a victim’s losses. As such, PIP and uninsured motorist coverage are incredibly important in this type of accident.
When you work with an experienced Queens hit-and-run accident lawyer, your lawyer can also determine whether or not any other policies or coverage options exist. For example, are there any third parties who contributed to the crash? Ultimately, every hit-and-run accident claim is unique. It is crucial that you work with an experienced New York City car crash lawyer who can help you identify every potential path to recovering financial compensation for your damages.
What Type of Compensation Can I Recover in a Hit-and-Run Accident Claim in New York?
Following a serious hit-and-run crash in Queens, you need monetary compensation to pay for vehicle repairs, medical bills, and other damages. In New York, the amount that you can recover in a hit-and-run accident depends on a number of different factors, including the severity of your accident. Unfortunately, the big insurance companies can make it difficult for people to secure the full financial support that they deserve. At Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP, our Queens car accident lawyers are driven to help hit-and-run accident victims maximize their recovery. Your settlement or verdict may include financial relief for any of the following:
- Motor vehicle repairs or replacement;
- Ambulance fees and emergency room care;
- Hospital bills and medical expenses;
- Loss of current and future wages;
- Pain and suffering;
- Physical scarring or disfigurement;
- Long-term disability; and
- Wrongful death of a family member.
Why Hire the Queens Hit-and-Run Crash Lawyers at Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP
Hit-and-run accident claims are notoriously complex. It is normal to be frustrated, stressed out, and totally confused after a hit-and-run crash in New York City. At Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP, we are here to guide you through every step of the car crash injury claims process. Among other things, our Queens auto accident lawyers are prepared to:
- Provide a free review of your hit-and-run accident claim;
- Investigate your crash, gathering all relevant evidence and information;
- Take action to identify the driver and all potential sources of compensation;
- Represent you in any settlement negotiations with the insurer; and
- Build a hit-and-run accident claims strategy focused on getting you the best outcome.
We provide personalized legal guidance to every client. When you call our legal team, you can count on us to investigate your case, calculate your damages, and identify all options for financial recovery. With a history of successful case results and testimonials from former clients, you can count on our New York City car accident lawyer for reliable representation.
Call Our Experienced Queens Hit-and-Run Attorneys Today for Your Free Consultation
At the law office of Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP, our experienced Queens hit-and-run accident attorneys know what you’re going through and the frustration and pain you’re experiencing. If you have suffered serious injuries, you may be wondering what your options are and how to recover compensation for your losses. Our lawyers have years of experience and care about our clients. For your free consultation, please send us a message or call us at 718-843-0300 today. With an office in Queens, we represent hit-and-run accident victims throughout New York City.
What Our Clients Say
James is the best lawyer I have ever had. I would strongly recommend him. I would even go as far as to say you would have to be crazy to use anyone else. He is extremely knowledgeable, quick thinker and always available to answer your questions. He is motivated, energetic and will do whatever it takes to win. The best quality James has and one that you will not find in other lawyers is that HE CARES!!!.
Work Injury Settlement
The client, a sanitation worker, fell over a pothole inside the depot yard; They required knee, wrist and elbow surgery. They were approved for ¾ pay and Social Security Disability Insurance.View more results