Queens Dog Bite Lawyer
Whether you’re an animal lover or not, being attacked by a dog is something that nobody plans for. While America’s favorite pet, some dogs have a propensity towards viciousness, and others may attack if they feel threatened or scared. At the law offices of Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP, our Queens dog bite lawyers recognize how traumatic and terrifying a dog attack is. If you’ve been attacked by a dog in Queens, please don’t hesitate to call our law firm for the legal support and guidance that you need. You can reach our lawyers by phone or online for your free consultation.
Damages from a Dog Bite
The long-term damages that a person may suffer as a result of a dog bite depend on numerous factors, including for how long the dog attacked, the size of the dog, the area of the bite, the medical treatment received right after the bite, and more. Potential injuries and losses suffered as a result of a dog bite in Queens include, but are not limited to:
- Traumatic brain injury. While a traumatic brain injury may not be a result of being bitten by a dog, if a person is attacked by a dog and falls, they could hit their head in the process, resulting in this injury type.
- Internal injuries. Internal injuries may happen if the dog attacks and bites to the point that internal organs are impacted, or if a person fractures a rib in the process of the attack (i.e. from falling), which then punctures an internal organ, such as a lung.
- Broken bones. A bone fracture may occur if a person falls with enough force as a result of the attack to fracture a bone, or if the dog bites with enough force to fracture a bone. The jaws of many dogs are indeed strong enough to cause bone fractures – a terrifying thought.
- If a person is bitten by a dog, bleeding will likely be an immediate consequence. In some cases, bleeding could be severe, putting a person at risk of fatal blood loss.
- Open wounds can lead to infections, especially if the dog is carrying any diseases, such as rabies. Immediate treatment after a dog bite to reduce the risk of infection is very important for this reason.
- Scarring and disfigurement. When a dog bite occurs, the results may be scarring and disfigurement that impact a person for the remainder of their life.
- Soft tissue injuries. Falling (from the dog attack) as well as being bitten in certain locations on the body can lead to soft tissue injuries.
- Psychological injuries. Finally, a person who suffers a serious dog bite likely will not only have physical injuries, but also psychological injuries as well. These might include depression related to the long-term consequences of their injuries, post-traumatic stress disorder, and fear of dogs.
Of course, the above injuries also lead to high medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. If you’ve been attacked by a dog and seriously harmed, our Queens dog bite lawyers will advocate for you and help you in recovering your full settlement award.
Liability for a Dog Bite in Queens
Navigating New York’s dog bite law can be complicated for someone without legal training. The state of New York has both a strict liability statute for damages resulting from a dog bite, but also recognizes common law recovery.
New York’s dog bite statute holds that the owner of a dangerous dog will be held liable for medical costs (and only medical costs) result from the dog bite when the dog:
- Attacks and injures or kills a person or another animal; or
- Acts in a manner that a reasonable person would find poses a serious and unjustified threat of serious physical injury or death.
So, if you’re attacked by a dangerous dog, then you can hold the owner of the dog liable for your medical expenses. But what about other losses, such as the value of your lost wages or pain and suffering?
For these damages, you’ll need to prove that the owner of the dog acted negligently, and the negligence was the proximate cause of your harm. For example, if the owner of the dog knew that the dog was a dangerous dog and yet failed to restrain the dog–or attempt to restrain the dog–in a public place in order to prevent a bite, the owner could be held liable for other damages, too.
Call Our Dog Bite Lawyer in Queens Today
If you’ve been attacked by a dog, our Queens dog bite lawyers can help you to recover the compensation that you deserve. Call our law firm directly today for a free consultation and information about your options and how we can assist you. Reach us at 718-843-0300.
What Our Clients Say
James is the best lawyer I have ever had. I would strongly recommend him. I would even go as far as to say you would have to be crazy to use anyone else. He is extremely knowledgeable, quick thinker and always available to answer your questions. He is motivated, energetic and will do whatever it takes to win. The best quality James has and one that you will not find in other lawyers is that HE CARES!!!.
Work Injury Settlement
The client, a sanitation worker, fell over a pothole inside the depot yard; They required knee, wrist and elbow surgery. They were approved for ¾ pay and Social Security Disability Insurance.View more results