Queens Construction Accident Lawyer
Construction is a critical part of our economy and the development of our city and our country. At Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP, we recognize the important role that construction workers play in all of our lives, and appreciate the work that construction employees do. But we also know that construction is a dangerous industry, and that construction workers are at high risk of an accident in comparison to workers in other industries. If you have been involved in a construction accident, our Queens construction accident lawyers will work hard for you. We know that you deserve to be compensated – call our law firm today to learn more about how we can help.
Common Construction Accidents
As stated, construction workers are at an especially high risk of injury compared to workers in other industries. As reported by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the “fatal four” types of construction accidents include:
- Electrocution injuries;
- Fall accidents;
- Caught-in/between machinery accidents; and
- Struck by object accidents.
In addition to the fatal four–which are called such because they lead to the highest number of construction worker fatalities–other common types of accidents in the construction industry include falling debris accidents, slip and falls (as compared to falls from heights), explosion accidents, machinery and vehicle accidents, trench and ground collapses, repetitive motion injuries, and more.
Causes of Construction Accidents
Construction accidents can be the result of numerous factors. Some common causes of construction accidents include:
- Worker negligence, including using equipment improperly, disregarding safety recommendations, or engaging in horseplay;
- Machinery and equipment defects, which may lead to liability of a machinery or equipment manufacturer or distributor;
- Employer negligence, such as failing to properly train staff or provide safety equipment;
- Safety equipment defects; and
- Failure to adhere to safety recommendations/training.
Workers’ Compensation vs. Third-Party Liability Claims
When a construction worker is injured on the job, they may have two different avenues for seeking compensation:
- Workers’ compensation claims. The vast majority of construction workers throughout Queens are covered–or should be covered–by workers’ compensation insurance, which is mandatory in our state. Workers’ compensation pays for medical expenses and a portion of a worker’s lost wages when the worker suffers an on-the-job injury – an injury that occurs through the course of employment. By virtue of the workers’ compensation system, workers are barred from filing a claim directly against their employer and cannot recover compensation for pain and suffering damages.
- Third-party liability claims. A third-party liability claim is a type of civil action in which the injured worker alleges that their injuries would not have occurred but for the actions of a third party, such as the property owner where an injury occurred. Note that the employee cannot file a claim against their employer – only a third party when appropriate. In a third-party liability claim, the worker does have to prove fault, but can also recover a greater amount of damages. Sometimes, filing both a workers’ compensation claim and a third-party liability claim is possible.
If you’re not sure whether or not you are covered under workers’ compensation insurance, whether or not you have a viable third-party claim, or if you have any other questions, please reach out to our law firm directly and we can help you get the answers you need.
The Role of a Queens Construction Accident Attorney
When you have been injured on the job in Queens, working with a construction accident attorney should be a top priority. The role of our attorney when working on your case is to:
- Open an investigation to determine the cause of your accident and who’s to blame;
- Advise you in whether you should file a workers’ compensation claim, a third-party liability claim, or both;
- Represent you throughout the claims process, including in reviewing any settlement offer you receive;
- Help you to take action if your workers’ compensation claim is denied;
- Litigate your case if necessary; and
- More – our lawyers will serve you and handle 100 percent of your claim throughout the entire process.
Call Our Queens Construction Accident Lawyers Today
Being in a construction accident can change your life. Not only may you be seriously injured, but you now may also be unable to work and earn an income, providing for yourself and your family. At the law office of Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP, our New York workers’ compensation attorneys care about you and will help you to recover the settlement that you deserve. If you have been hurt at work in a construction accident, reach us today by phone at 718-843-0300 or online to schedule your free consultation.