Queens Speeding Lawyer
Injured in a Crash With a Speeding Driver? Our Queens Car Accident Lawyer Will Protect Your Rights
Speeding is a behavior that almost every motorist on the road has engaged in at some point, despite how dangerous it is. When a vehicle that’s going above the speed limit is involved in a crash, the damages to all parties involved may be severe. If you’ve been the victim of a crash caused by speeding–or which involved a speeding vehicle–you deserve compensation.
At the law office of Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP, our Queens speeding lawyer is ready to work with you to determine the cause of your crash, calculate your damages, and work hard to hold the speeding driver liable for your harm. If you or your loved one was hurt in a crash caused by a driver who was speeding, we can help. For your free case consultation, call our law office directly today at your convenience.
Speeding is one of the Leading Causes of Motor Vehicle Accidents
Under New York state law, all motorists have a legal responsibility to obey the posted speed limit. The failure to do so is a legal violation and can result in a traffic citation. Speeding also dramatically increases the risk of accidents. In fact, speeding is cited as one of the most common causes of motor vehicle collisions in New York City and throughout the United States. According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), more than 9,000 people are killed in speed-related crashes nationwide each year. Tens of thousands more sustain catastrophic, even life-altering injuries in collisions caused by speeding drivers. These accidents are preventable.
The Dangers of Speeding
Speeding isn’t just against the law; it’s dangerous, too. When a driver engages in speeding, they are committing negligence per se–the violation of a statute, law, or ordinance. Speeding is dangerous for a number of reasons, including:
- Speeding increases the risk of losing control of one’s vehicle;
- Speeding reduces the effectiveness of safety protections within the vehicle, such as seatbelts and airbags;
- Speeding increases the amount of stopping distance that’s required for a vehicle to come to a full stop; and
- Speeding increases the risk of crash severity if an accident does occur (because force is a calculation of mass multiplied by acceleration).
Speed limits are set as they are for a reason–to reduce the risk of accident and to reduce the degree of severity of an accident if one does occur. Despite the fact that speeding is unlawful and dangerous behavior, speeding contributes to approximately one-third of all fatal crashes in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Injuries in a Speeding-Involved Crash in Queens
As mentioned above, the faster a vehicle is traveling, the higher the risk of severe injuries, as the amount of force that’s involved in the crash is increased for every mile per hour faster than a vehicle travels. If a crash occurs that involves a speeding vehicle, injuries might include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): A traumatic brain injury, or TBI, occurs in a car accident when the head is hit with force or subjected to rotational forces. It could happen as a result of whiplash, or the head making contact with the steering wheel or another object in the vehicle. Traumatic brain injuries can cause long-term complications and even death in severe cases.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: One of the most severe and traumatic injuries that a person can suffer is a spinal cord injury. A spinal cord injury occurs when a person’s spinal cord is damaged, usually as a result of being forced into an awkward position or hit with a large amount of force. A spinal cord injury can cause partial or complete paralysis from the site of the injury downwards.
- Injuries to Extremities. Arm injuries and leg injuries are relatively common in speeding accidents. Injuries to extremities might include bone fractures, soft tissue injuries, and crush and amputation injuries. These injuries can range in severity from mild to permanently disabling. If you sustained a serious arm injury or leg injury in a speed-related crash, an experienced Queens, NY car accident lawyer can help.
In addition to the above, internal injuries, facial injuries, and psychological injuries, amongst others, are all common. No matter the specific nature of your injury, it is crucial that you get the comprehensive medical care that you need after a serious speeding accident.
Is a Speeding Driver at Fault in a Queens Car Accident?
New York is a No-Fault Car Accident Liability State
If you are involved in a Queens car accident, you may be wondering whether or not you can hold the speeding driver liable–or legally responsible–for your injuries. In New York, no-fault laws hold that before you bring forth a claim against another driver for damages, you must file a claim against your own personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. Our state’s no-fault car accident liability laws apply to minor and moderate crashes. If you sustained minor or minor injuries in a crash with a speeding driver, your sole claim will likely be through your own PIP policy.
You May Be Able to Step Outside of the No-Fault System After a Serious Accident
Sometimes, of course, injuries are so severe that the amount of coverage provided under a PIP policy is not enough to pay for a victim’s injuries. When this is the case, the injured party can seek compensation by filing a claim against the at-fault driver’s liability insurance policy. Injured parties are only allowed to step outside of the no-fault system and pursue damages against an at-fault party when their injuries exceed the “serious injury” threshold in New York. If you have questions about the serious injury threshold or your right to recover compensation, please call our law firm directly today for a free consultation.
Recovering Compensation After a Speeding Car Crash in Queens
If you or your loved one was hurt in a motor vehicle collision caused by a speeding driver, you need money to pay your bills and support your family. In New York, speeding accident victims have a right to seek financial relief for both economic and non-economic damages. However, the insurance companies that process most claims are interested primarily in protecting their own bottom line—they are not focused on ensuring that you have the money you need to pay your bills. Insurers try to settle speed-related accident claims for less. Our Queens, NY speeding accident injury lawyers will fight aggressively to maximize your financial support. You may be eligible to recover for:
- Automobile repairs;
- Hospital bills;
- Health care costs;
- Physical therapy;
- Lost wages;
- Loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death.
Know the Statute of Limitations for Speeding Accidents in New York
If you are preparing to file a fault-based car accident claim against a speeding driver, then you must initiate your case before the New York statute of limitations runs out. Failure to do so will result in the loss of ability to bring your claim to court. In New York, there is a three-year statute of limitations for fault-based car accident lawsuits. Do not wait that long to get moving on your case. You do not want to fall behind the insurance company. Call a Queens, NY speeding accident lawyer right away.
How the New York Speeding Accident Attorneys at Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP Can Help
Speeding accident claims are complex. You do not have to navigate New York’s auto accident liability laws on your own. At Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP, we are here to help guide you through each and every step of the personal injury claims process. When you reach out to our Queens law office, you will be able to work with a New York City speeding accident lawyer who is prepared to:
- Conduct a free, in-depth review and assessment of your case;
- Investigate the speeding accident, gathering relevant evidence and information;
- Organize your medical records and secure other evidence of your damages;
- Complete the legal paperwork and advocate for you in settlement negotiations; and
- Take your speeding accident claim as far as it needs to go to get your results.
Injured victims deserve personalized legal representation from their attorneys. With a long history of successful case results and reviews from our former clients, you can rely on our Queens, NY speeding accident injury lawyers to put in the time, resources, and attention to the smallest of details to handle your case the right way.
Reach Out to Our Queens Speeding Lawyers Today
Speeding is dangerous and negligent, yet far too many drivers in Queens continue to engage in this deadly behavior. If you have been involved in an accident that involved speeding and you have suffered serious injuries, our Queens speeding accident lawyers at the office of Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP want you to know that you have rights, including the right to bring forth a claim for damages against the at-fault party. Please call us directly today for your free consultation at 718-843-0300. With an office in Queens, we represent car accident victims throughout all of New York City.
What Our Clients Say
James is the best lawyer I have ever had. I would strongly recommend him. I would even go as far as to say you would have to be crazy to use anyone else. He is extremely knowledgeable, quick thinker and always available to answer your questions. He is motivated, energetic and will do whatever it takes to win. The best quality James has and one that you will not find in other lawyers is that HE CARES!!!.
Work Injury Settlement
The client, a sanitation worker, fell over a pothole inside the depot yard; They required knee, wrist and elbow surgery. They were approved for ¾ pay and Social Security Disability Insurance.View more results