Brooklyn Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer
While no one ever plans to be in a crash—especially a serious one that results in severe injuries—one comfort that most drivers hold in the back of their minds is the idea that if a crash does occur, both parties will stop, exchange information, and that the crash will be covered under insurance. Unfortunately, hit-and-run accidents occur far too frequently and when they do, accident victims may be at a loss for how to recover compensation or navigate the claims process.
At the law office of Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP, our Brooklyn hit-and-run accident lawyer knows that if you’ve been in a crash, you deserve to be compensated in full for your losses, regardless of the decision of the other driver to leave the scene. When you call our team, we can help you understand your rights and get compensation. Call today for your free consultation.
What to Do Immediately After a Hit-and-Run Crash in Brooklyn
When you are involved in an accident, knowing what to do can be overwhelming, especially if you’re injured, and even more so if the other driver has left the scene. However, what you do in the aftermath of a hit-and-run crash could impact whether or not the driver is located, as well as improve your chances of recovering compensation. If your injuries do not preclude you from doing so, here are some steps to take immediately after a hit-and-run crash in Brooklyn:
- Call the police. The very first thing to do after a hit-and-run crash is to call the police. The sooner that you call the police, the more likely it is that the police will be able to locate the at-fault driver.
- Write down as much as you can remember. You should immediately write down as much as you can remember about the crash, including details about the vehicle and driver that fled the scene of the accident. These details will be important when filing an accident report, helping the police or your attorney locate the driver, and filing an insurance claim.
- Get medical care. While you may be worried about getting medical care after a hit-and-run out of fear that there will be no source of insurance to pay for your losses, getting medical care is essential. Do not hesitate to go to the hospital after a crash.
- File an insurance report. Even if the other driver has fled the scene and you don’t know their insurance information, you still need to provide your own insurer with notice of the accident.
- Call an attorney. While you may be unsure about whether you need a lawyer, working with an attorney is strongly recommended, especially when the other driver has fled the scene. Working with an attorney could improve your chances of recovering compensation.
Can I File a Lawsuit Against the At-fault Driver?
Many people wonder whether or not they can file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver, assuming that the driver is located after fleeing the scene. The answer is that it depends. Before filing a claim against another driver in New York, an injured party needs to first file a claim against their own policy’s Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage, which is required in New York. Note that even if grounds to file a lawsuit against the hit-and-run driver exists, the driver may not carry insurance or may not carry enough insurance to pay for your losses—this may be why they fled the scene. Often, other sources of compensation are a better avenue for collecting damages after a crash.
How Will a Brooklyn Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer Help Me?
When you call the office of Sullivan & Galleshaw LLP, you can count on our Brooklyn hit-and-run accident lawyer to help you in the following ways:
- Investigating your case. One of the first things that we’ll do is open an investigation into your case to determine how the accident happened and who’s at fault. We’ll also work hard to track down the hit-and-run driver.
- Identifying all sources of compensation. In addition to your own PIP coverage and the liability insurance of the hit-and-run driver (if located), other sources of compensation might include your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, your health insurance coverage, and liability coverage of a third party whose negligence contributed to the accident.
- Calculating your damages. We’ll work with experts to calculate the value of your economic and noneconomic losses.
- Negotiating your settlement. Insurance adjusters are famous for low-balling settlement offers. We’ll review a settlement and enter into negotiations with the aim of recovering your maximum settlement.
- Litigating your case. While most claims end in settlement negotiations, we’ll be prepared to go to trial and litigate your case if necessary. Our lawyers have trial experience.
Call Our Brooklyn Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer Today
For your free consultation with our experienced Brooklyn hit-and-run accident lawyer, call our law firm directly today or send us a message online. We are here for you.