Slip and Fall Lawyers in Manhattan, NY

Manhattan has millions of people walking around on sidewalks, inside of building lobbies, through stores, and through public transportation stops and stations each day. These individuals are put at risk if the premises at these locations are dangerous or covered in ice and snow, spills, or other hazards.

If you or a loved one was injured in a slip and fall accident in Manhattan, talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer about your case. You may be entitled to financial compensation for your injuries, and the Manhattan slip and fall lawyers at Sullivan and Galleshaw may be able to file a claim on your behalf and fight to get you the compensation you need. After an injury, call our law offices today to schedule a free legal consultation. Our number is (877) 311-HURT.

Who is At Fault for a Slip and Fall in NYC?

Building owners and landowners are responsible for looking after their property and keeping it safe for guests and passers-by. People entering the property as customers or clients are owed a high duty to keep them safe while they’re on your property. People just passing through are still owed a duty to clean up or repair hidden dangers – or to at least warn people of the danger. Things like ice, spills, leaves, trash, and wet floors can all increase the risk of a slip and fall, and it is the property owner’s duty to clear up those problems.

In the case of property that is rented out, whether it be residential or commercial property, the tenant may have the duty to keep the property safe instead. However, victims may be able to sue both the tenant and the property owner, and the courts can decide which one is responsible.

Many public areas are also supposed to be kept in good repair and free of dangerous slipping and tripping hazards. Sidewalks are the most common of these areas. It is up to the owner of the building adjacent to the sidewalk to keep the sidewalks clear and safe; it is not up to the City.

Other public areas may be privately owned or owned by the city. If the property is owned by a private company and open to the public, the property owner holds the duty to keep it safe. If the area is public property owned by the City, you may be limited in your ability to hold the City liable for dangers on their property.

The other common place where people are injured in slip and falls is MTA property. Stops and stations for the subway or other public transit services can become icy and slippery in the winter months. Throughout the rest of the year, the area might become wet from spills or rain. It is up to the MTA to warn riders and customers about these dangers and to clear ice and snow to keep the property safe. It is especially important for the MTA to consider riders with disabilities as well as very old and very young riders, who are at a greater risk for slip and fall injuries.

Suing for a Slip and Fall in Manhattan

If you were injured in a slip and fall, you may be able to sue the responsible parties to get compensation. Many slip and fall accidents produce back injuries and other lasting injuries that can lead to ongoing pain and suffering. Falls where you hit your head can even lead to lasting disabilities if you suffered traumatic brain injuries or serious spinal cord injuries. These disasters can force you to miss work, or they may make it impossible to go back to work and support your family. In any case, you may be entitled to sue the at-fault party for financial compensation to cover the harms you faced.

Many property owners have homeowners insurance or other liability insurance that is meant to protect them from a lawsuit if an accident happens on their property. The property owner and their insurance company may try to offer you a settlement for your injuries, or they may encourage you to file your claim through the insurance process instead of the courts. In many cases, these individuals do not represent you and do not have your best interests in mind. You should always talk to an attorney instead since many settlements are far too low to cover your needs.

When you sue, you may be entitled to claim damages that you cannot receive through an insurance payout or a settlement. In many cases, your claim injury may involve compensation for pain and suffering, or even punitive damages, which might not be available or paid in full through settlement or insurance. The best way to receive full compensation may be to take your case to court, which our attorneys can help you with.

Call Our New Manhattan Sip and Fall Attorneys for a Free Legal Consultation

After a slip and fall accident, you may face surprisingly severe injuries. If you or a loved one has high hospital bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering that need compensation, talk to our Manhattan slip and fall lawyers for help understanding what your case might be worth and how you can file for compensation today. To schedule a free legal consultation on your case, call Sullivan and Galleshaw at (877) 311-HURT.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What Our Clients Say:

“James is the best lawyer I have ever had. I would strongly recommend him. I would even go as far as to say you would have to be crazy to use anyone else. He is extremely knowledgeable, quick thinker and always available to answer your questions. He is motivated, energetic and will do whatever it takes to win. The best quality James has and one that you will not find in other lawyers is that HE CARES!!!.”


Recent Result:

$3,400,000Work Injury Settlement

The client, a sanitation worker, fell over a pothole inside the depot yard; They required knee, wrist and elbow surgery. They were approved for ¾ pay and Social Security Disability Insurance.

View more results